Hawaii Lifeguards & Water Safety Fund
The HLWSF Mission
- 1. To support the reduction of beach related injuries and accidental drowning by organizing and funding Ocean and Water safety programs to educate children in Hawaii.
- 2. To involve Hawaii children in environmental education, such as reef protection and shore erosion prevention, in order to make our children aware of the importance of maintaining a sustainable environment for the future of the Hawaiian Islands.
- 3. To increase public awareness on the importance of ocean and water safety by providing ocean and water safety tips through a free publication called Hawaii Life Guards Water Safety& Rescue Magazine. This magazine will also serve to guide people to use our guarded beaches and salute Hawaii Lifeguards.
- The magazine is used to educate residents and visitors in Hawaii. Hawaii’s Lifeguard Water Safety & Rescue Magazine includes safety tips for Hawaii waters in English and Japanese, maps of beach hazards, rescue stories, amateur surf, kayak, and paddling contest articles, and environmental tips for Hawaii’s oceans and shores. The purpose of our magazine and our water safety programs is obvious, once you learn that as of 2004 drowning is the 5th leading cause of accidental death in Hawaii..
- Our environmental projects will be used to educate children on the importance of maintaining a sustainable eco system in our oceans, as well as the importance of properly taking care of the land for our future.
- HLWS organizes and funds school ocean safety programs, attended by students’ grades k-6. We have also published and distributed thousands of free magazines to the public. The ocean safety program is 1 hour consisting of a 20 minute video about safety in Hawaiian waters. This is followed by 20 minutes of beach and pool safety signs done thru Q. and A., which allows the lifeguards to interact with the students and make sure every child, understands the importance of water safety. The last 20 minutes is split between demonstrating lifeguard rescue equipment and student questions to the lifeguards. At the end of the program HLWS leaves activity books for each child along with teaching manuals for the teachers. If you would like more information please visit our website, or email us at email@example.com
- Mahalo for your support,
- Jeff Roberts, Director, HLWSF